A vibrant and healthy democracy requires that an informed public be actively engaged in the selection of its representatives. Exercising your right to vote is the most direct manner of ensuring that you receive the very best service by advocates who care. Rates of voter turnout can be increased, especially in off-year (non-presidential) gubernatorial primary elections, by making the polls more accessible to those wishing to vote.
Once our votes are cast, elected representatives must be held accountable to their electorate. Investigative journalism is a public service that is tasked with holding our government accountable for its actions. As your Delegate I will support public-private partnerships that advance investigative journalism in Maryland.
Accountability can be further advanced only in the context of reasonably apportioned districts. As much as I prefer having additional Democrats in Congress, gerrymandered districts disenfranchise Marylanders and contribute to partisan polarization by removing incentives for candidates to appeal to the wider public. Similarly, we must ensure that the process and financial cost of being elected does not unduly diminish the voices of everyday voters relative to those entities that are able to make large financial contributions.
Legislative Action Items:
- September Primary: Moving the Primary Election back to September (from June) will increase voter turnout
- Presidential Year Elections: Aligning the state and county election cycle with the national election cycle will increase voter turnout
- Opening Primary Elections to all registered voters
- Automatically registering all citizens to vote
- No Gerrymandering: Ensuring that districts are drawn fairly in a non-partisan manner will translate into improved representation
- No Special Appointments: One-third of our state representation in Montgomery County has been appointed to ‘elected’ office; elected officials should be elected, plain and simple
- Making Early Voting Simpler: Moving Early Voting days to the weekend and day before Election Day
- Public Financing for State Offices: Ensuring that politicians are accountable to their electorate, not special interests