Gridlock. Rush hour.
These are experiences with which every constituent of District 16 is intimately familiar. Improved mass-transit options will increase mobility, strengthen our economy, and improve our quality of life. To stay competitive, we must invest in and expand our infrastructure.
We need to INVEST IN INFRASTRUCTURE to provide long term economic benefits to our community.
- Support the Purple Line
- This 16 mile proposed light rail connection between Bethesda, Silver Spring, College Park, and New Carrollton will reduce commuting times, directly link Metro’s Red, Yellow, Green, & Orange lines, create 27,000 new jobs, and make District 16 more accessible to a larger population. The Purple Line should extend west to Virginia's Silver Line, so that District 16 residents can get to Dulles Airport in half an hour and the Green Line should be extended North to BWI Airport.
- Support Bus Rapid Transit
- We need dedicated lanes for buses that make frequent stops in our most congested corridors to enhance convenience and efficiency while commuting in our community. Read my: BRT Testimony
- Transit Oriented Development
- The construction of these walkable communities--centers of economic development--leads to improved community cohesion and quality of life. These regional development projects will benefit from Bus Rapid Transit corridors that will permit increased density without adding to traffic congestion.
- Bike Lanes
- The creation of bike lanes will expand commuting options for District 16 constituents by making bicycling a safer and more efficient means of transportation. The expansion of bicycling as an environmentally friendly form of commuting, including through an expansion of the Capitol Area Bikeshare system within Montgomery County, will benefit our entire community.
- Reliable Utility Infrastructure
- Introduction of greater penalties for utility providers that fail to adequately invest in electric grid infrastructure; Pepco must be held accountable for its repeated failures to uphold its end of the bargain and allow District 16 to remain open for business.
- Sustainable Infrastructure Funding
- We must find dedicated state funding streams for:
- WSSC: To keep clean water flowing out of faucets.
- WMATA (Metro): To keep the trains running on time.